Top Ten Toppings for Pizza.
- Cheese. Of course, every pizza has cheese, but in my fifty years of eaten frozen pizza I have noticed that those made in Wisconsin are superior — and I noticed this long before had any connection to The Dairy State. Good cheese is essential to a good pizza.
- Sausage. I'm a traditionalist in this regard. Good Italian sausage is my favorite topping.
- Mushrooms. If I'm feeling anything but boring the second topping I request is mushrooms.
- Fresh tomatoes. Elder Son introduced me to this. They add a nice tomato zing.
- Pepperoni. Younger Son prefers pep on his pizza so it is often on the pizzas I eat.
- Green peppers and onions. I kinda like a nice vegie pizza sometimes — green peppers, onions, mushrooms, and fresh tomatoes.
Okay, that's it. Those are my favorite toppings. Contrary to many other parts of my personality, in pizza toppings I am narrow-minded and traditional. Others in the family like green olives and black olives and bacon and Canadian bacon on their pizzas, so I tolerate them. But the six above are my tried-and-true.
Things that I find awful on a pizza:
- Chicken. Can't understand this, chicken is great in every other format, but on a pizza? It gags me every time.
- Shrimp. Had a shrimp pizza once. Well, one bite, then gag. Weird, cuz I love shrimp. Just not on a pizza.
- Jalapenos. Once again, I like them in other formats but not on pizza.
Although I went [mostly] non-gluten last May, I still have pizza about once a week. Tried a gf frozen pizza, crust was blech, so we still have the regular ones.