Ten Gifts You Can Pick Up at the Grocery Store.
- Assortment of cheeses, sausages, crackers, and — depending on the liquor laws in your state — a bottle of wine. You can also add an assortment of mustards and nuts if your budget allows. Basket optional.
- Let the grocery store do it and save yourself the work.
- Almonds, cashews, pecans, peanuts, and the herbs and spices to make spiced nuts.
- Gift card for groceries. Always welcomed by college students and struggling 20-somethings.
- Yarn to make a quick hat or scarf. Note: this one only applies if you live in Iceland, where grocery stores carry yarn.
- Ingredients for really good cocoa, plus cinnamon sticks or homemade marshmallows.
- Chocolate, condensed milk, nuts, other supplies to make fudge, plus a pretty container to hold it.
- Ingredients to make an assortment of Christmas cookies, plus pretty holiday plates to hold them.
- Basket with pears, blue cheese, and crackers. Note: I am currently accepting all such baskets; no need to give it to anyone else.
- A couple USDA Prime steaks. I gave this gift to a neighbor one year for his birthday; he and his wife were at the stage of life when they were downsizing and didn’t want any more stuff.